Judging from the cards and letters, I may be in the minority when I suggest a CAD Olympics could be an important factor when buying CAD software.
So what is important? I'd like to survey TenLinks' readers to find out what drives them to buy CAD software. Here are some reasons I thought of (in no particular order).
- CAD program is a market leader?
- Or, how could so many users be wrong?
- Longevity of company
- Company reputation
- Trust in brand of current CAD software
- What others in similar industry are using?
- Checklist of features, robustness
- Having vendor demonstrate software with company’s specific design tasks
- Reviews in magazines or online
- Evaluation during trial period
- CAD Shoot Outs
- (Yes, I'm going to list it anyway)
- Published case histories
- Success stories, such as "XYZ Inc. Cuts Design Time at Acme"
- Ability to read/write existing company design data
- Advertising, print and online
Did I miss anything? Do let me know.